Wednesday, September 5, 2007

50"

We have a HUGE television. It's a 50" projection tv. It's embarrassing. Our home really isn't big enough to support such a massive object of our affection. And it really is the center of our living space. Everything revolves around that area. We pass by it on our way to and from the stairs. We walk by it when we enter our home and when we leave our home. Sometimes I think Ben touches it affectionately when no one is looking.

This is a brand new thing...Up until a few months ago we had one 14" television, and only one. When we moved to Asheville and into a rental home we bought this little television because our other 14" tv was on the fritz. We moved into the house and it had one of those built-in tv holes above the fireplace. We could fit the tv, the cable box, my scrapbooks and decor that I didn't know what to do with up there. If we wanted to watch a show together as a family, we had to pull up chairs and get our binoculars out just so we could make out the expression on Ryan Seacrest's face. Let's put it this way, no way would we ever invite anyone over to watch the game.

The other thing you should know is that we are a computer family. We have 4 computers and parts to build at least one more. Plus we have two laptops. That's 6 computers. There's only 5 of us. Ben's work PC has a Mac monitor that is HUGE. It's the envy of our entire extended family. Ben has boxes and boxes and boxes of computer parts. He has a large rubbermaid storage box filled to the top with computer fans. Just fans. A whole box. The garage houses tons of computer stuff and it spills out into our everyday lives, everyday. We could open an Internet store and put our kids through college.

One of the PCs is hooked up to the BIG television. It also has Internet access. We can check our email on the 50" screen. We can download movies from Netflix right to the PC and then watch them on the 50" screen. We can listen to hours, days of music that is stored on that PC. The kids can do their homework on the 50" screen. This makes Ben very happy.

Now, before when we had our extremely modest tv I had a pride issue. People would walk in, immediately comment on our teeny tiny little screen and I would say something like, "Yes. The size of the screen reflects how much we care about tv." I think I was a little self-conscious and I was trying to compensate by making them feel bad about being so materialistic. (Sorry if I did that to you.) And it's weird how changing the size of the tv we own hasn't squelched my pride. I'm embarrassed (another form of pride) that our tv is monstrous and so I say things like, "Well, before we had a 14" tv and this is Ben's dream come true. He's been waiting for like 15 years to get a TV he can watch from the comfort of his very own couch!"

Why can't I just smile and ask if anyone wants to watch the game?

2 comments:

Jan said...

we have SIX tv - the combined size of which would not equal 50 inches - and we too - do not invite anyone to watch a game with us. The one time that we did have a "game" party - the AV Techno guy guest - brought a TV with him so he wouldn't have to take out his binoculars.
BUT we can watch TV in virtually any room of the house..........

Anonymous said...

My TV is my friend. It is a place of refuge from the day. A place of brainless serenity. I exercise in front of it and it keeps me going, I stop being a mom at the end of the day, and I watch the world express their great need for a Saviour. We have a big screen too! I admit I could care less how big it is. What I do like about high definition is discovering the imperfections in Hollywood. Jodie Foster, YIKES! It makes me feel better. By the way, did anyone see the finale of "Lost"? What a huge bummer it was to me. Then again, I guess we are only heroes when we stay in God's economy and fail desperately in our own. But still, why can't Kate love him?