Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanks

Brennan Manning had two really cool things to say about thanks in his book, Ruthless Trust. (And if you know me well, you'll be amazed that I actually made it through a non-fiction book.) Manning said that his heart grieves for the atheist because he has no One to thank. The second thing he said (and it's been about 7 years since I read this book, so forgive my paraphrase) was that we should thank God for everything...good and bad...because He can use anything for our good. So this year instead of using this post to thank God for the abundance of obviously good things in my life I am going to thank Him for the hard things that He has promised He can use for my good and the good of the people that I love.

Thank You for Ben's headaches. It sucks that he's sick most of the time and sometimes I feel angry that you don't just go ahead and heal him already. But I know that this hardship causes us to depend on You and your perfect timing. I also know that I lack, in a major way, compassion for the physically sick and tired. I'm not sure why that is but I am going to pray that You use this to draw me into Ben's pain and remind me that you came for the weary and the sick.

Thank You for financial hardship because it reminds me daily of my flesh and my weaknesses. If I were more disciplined and creative I could prevent some of my own stress. But I choose the easy way out and on occasion I see clearly what You want for us and it has absolutely nothing to do with money or wealth. It has everything to do with relationships. Sometimes it's hard to live in such an incredibly wealthy area and not be incredibly wealthy, but it is opportunity for humility and honesty and I'm praying that you will develop that in me.

Thanks for our 1998 Volvo station wagon...it's a whole 10 years "newer" than the last one I had and it has power windows. Yes, it makes some kind of jet engine noise occasionally and it's cost us thousands in repairs and maintenance, but the a/c works and it's got leather interior. Yes, it's black inside and out which makes it hotter than Hades in the summer and filthy-looking in the winter, but it's a quiet ride and we can fit a Christmas tree in the back. When we first purchased it I couldn't believe how 'lucky' I was to have it, luxury compared to the 1988 I'd just given up...but as time has gone by I've looked around and become discontent. Sorry for that.

Thanks for technology. I hate it most of the time, except when I'm blogging or receiving emails from friends and family. But it's Ben's passion and he's really good at what he does. Without it I'd probably be an air force wife, trying to keep from falling apart with three children and a husband in great peril. Thank you so much that you gave Ben the gifts you did, led him to the job he has and allowed him to work from home. It's amazing that we get to spend so much time together as a family. Technology has allowed Ben to be so involved in the lives of the kids.

Thanks for the recorder. There are very few sounds that make me as crazy as the recorder playing "Hot Cross Buns", but it's teaching Anna Grace about music, so Thanks.

Thanks for dirty laundry, dirty floors and dirty dishes because it means that all five of us are mobile and healthy enough to make a mess and eat a full meal.

Thanks for all the taxiing of children that I do because it gives me the opportunity to have time alone with each of them.

Thank You for the hard things and help me to be ridiculously thankful for EVERY thing.

No comments: